Wednesday, August 5, 2009

38 Weeks...Still Pregnant, but Full Moon Tomorrow!

Teresha: Before you Twi-hards get all excited about the mention of full moon and think I have some scoop from the movie set, I am talking about the lunar schedule. This is the week my midwife predicted our baby girl would be born. It also happens that the next full moon appears tomorrow. It is a long-held, old-wives belief that many full-term pregnant women will go into labor on the night of or shortly after a full moon. From what I gather it has something to do with atmospheric pressure and the moon's gravitational pull that can cause the amniotic sac to break. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence (stories from maternity nurses about overcrowded delivery rooms) and some unscientific research to back this up. I found that this article, The Moon's Effect on Natural Childbirth, sums it up best. So hopefully, our next post will be about Marlie's birth story! If it happens, I'm going to get that T-shirt!

Damon: There are a lot of old wives tales about the full moon (click here). While I don't know if Marlie will decide to break camp tomorrow, I am excited that she will be here soon. I have also heard the babies are covered in hair - so maybe there is a link to the full moon.

16 comments:

Brandy said...

When I made my prediction for your delivery date, I didn't realize the full moon was working in my favor! I think you will go into labor tomorrow night, and Marlie will arrive in the wee hours of the morning on the 7th.

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Maybe she'll be early or maybe she'll be late. Either way, she's going to be here soon! How exciting!

Tania (via SITS)

Lamonica said...

This is my first visiting your blog. Congratulations on the baby.

Stopping by from SITS

Kelly said...

I'm so excited for you!!

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

As a Paramedic for many, many years, I can truly attest to the fact that the full moon DOES indeed bring out those babies! We always knew to have our OB kits ready and waiting during that 24 hour shift. The hospital ERs and OB floors were ALWAYS packed, too. It is definitely more than just an old wives tale. With that said, we all know that little Miss Marlie will definitely come when come when she is good and ready! So, get lots of rest and enjoy those last few days (or hours!) together as a couple before she makes her grand appearance!

May God be with you and keep you all safe.

Many Blessings,

Teresa

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/

Penelope said...

omg, 14 days left!! You look great in that "Home Stretch" photo...that is how big I look at not even six months! I can't believe I can get so big, and I still have so much to go...how do our bodies DO that???

L.A. Mommy said...

Ooh, so exciting!! I love, love, love the full moon so I'm pulling for Marlie to make her debut soon!!!

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

I always heard this but it sounds like it's more than an old wives tale! I hope little baby comes into the world safe and healthy!

The Redhead Riter said...

Uh, Damon, are you hoping to have a wearwolf child? LOL

Teresha, to make sure you are ON TIME, start cleaning everything. Bending over, vacuuming every day, scrubbing the baseboards...it works girl! I have told you wrong yet? LOL

You two make such a sweet and pretty, um, I mean, handsome couple.

I KNOW your baby is going to have a full head of curly hair and I am so jealous! I want to babysit! LOL

Stopping by with a little bloggie love tonight!

mamammelloves said...

How exciting! :) I've heard this before too... That shirt is cute too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! Have a great day! :)

simply_unique said...

I had mine all on a full moon so of course i swear by this LMAO everyone else thinks I am crazy tho So Hopefully by now you have your sweet little one in your Arms!

Robbie S. Redmon, LPC said...

I am so excited for you! I know this Texas heat has not been comfortable for you, so come on Marlie. We are waiting on your arrival!

Maureensk said...

I never checked what state the moon was in with my labors (only 2/5 started w/o induction). That shirt is cool! Good luck! Keep us posted. I'm heading over to your new site now!

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

Hoping all is well! Two of my babies were born on the full moon!!!

Ms. Wanda said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by:) Since you have not posted since Wednesday, I'm wondering did the baby come? Love your picture of you and hubby!
You know I carried my first baby for like 42 weeks, Doc made me wait! My baby was like 10lbs! I wanted to beat that Doctor up:)

Enjoy your Sunday
xoxox
Ms. Wanda

Marrdy said...

I work with a lady who is convinced the moon controls everything. I hope it is true for you too!